So You Want to Be a Master Composter/Soil Builder...
Interested in learning more about compost and teaching others? Become a Master Composter/Soil Builder! Seattle residents are invited to apply to participate in the Master Composter/Soil Builder course -- a four week, eight session volunteer training program with a community service component.
Each Master Composter/Soil Builder participates in 28 hours of classroom learning (including field trips) followed by 35 hours of volunteer outreach, which could include projects such as giving composting classes at schools and civic associations, helping schools and community gardens set up a compost system and staffing compost information tables at community events.
The training course covers the following topics:
- improving soil health and building soil life
- understanding the small-scale composting process
- using finished compost
- sorting your compostables and recyclables
- managing storm water and protecting water quality
- teaching others about composting and resource conservation practices
Class Dates & Times
The training is a four week (8 sessions) in-depth educational experience with four Tuesday evenings and four Saturday sessions.
- Four Tuesdays, 7-9 p.m. on Mar. 22, Mar. 29, Apr. 5 and Apr. 12
- Four Saturdays, 10 a.m.-3 p.m. on Mar. 26, Apr. 2, Apr. 9 and Apr. 16
Good Shepherd Center, 4649 Sunnyside Ave N., Seattle, WA 98103. Get directions. There are also two off-site field trips.
MC/SB Community Outreach
Community outreach is an essential component of the MC/SB program and a powerful form of environmental action! Following your MC/SB training, you will become part of a select team of Seattle residents empowered to share what you have learned with friends, neighbors and the community at large. We'll make sure you have the support you need to be successful at teaching others.
Requirements for Applicants
- RESIDENCY. Only Seattle residents are eligible. If you live in King County, but outside of Seattle, check out our MRC-Eastside or King County Master Recycler Composter programs.
- DEPOSIT. A deposit of $150 is required to participate in the program. The deposit will be refunded when 35 hours of volunteer outreach are completed within one year of training. Scholarships up to $75 are available, see application.